Everything You Need to Know About Native Advertising
October 13, 2017
Has your business invested in any native advertising? Unless you’re a marketing professional you may not be sure exactly what that means, but chances are you’ve already engaged with them as a user. Simply put, native advertising is any advertising that is embedded within editorial content in such a way that it doesn’t look like an ad. This “blending in” characteristic is also what makes native ads so effective. Native advertising’s share of the online marketplace has been growing dramatically in the past few years, closely mirroring the rise of social media. Business Insider estimates that native advertising will comprise 74% of all online ad revenue by 2021. Companies everywhere, including small businesses, are taking note. Here’s what you need to know.
Types of Native AdsThere are several categories of native advertising, some of which you may be surprised to find you already use:
- In-Feed Ads – These ads appear within social media feeds and directly mimic the look of surrounding posts.
- Paid Search Listings – These ads appear above organic search results and look as if they are the top search results.
- Recommendation Feeds – These widgets provide value by recommending things that are similar to what you’re already looking at, and may include both editorial and native ads.
- Advertorial Content – This ultimate type of native advertising merges real content with ads by having the writer or artist actually work the product into a full piece of content. Usually, the only way to tell these pieces apart from regular content is by the small badge somewhere on the page that reads “Advertisement” or something similar.
A Track Record of EffectivenessOne recent study of nearly 5,000 consumers, utilizing eye tracking technology, found that:
- Users noticed native ads 53% more frequently than display ads.
- Native ads produced 18% higher “intent to purchase” and 9% higher brand affinity than banner ads.
- 32% of users said they’d be willing to share the native ad with a friend or family member, compared to 19% for display ads.
copyright 2021 | Little Jack Marketing